Sunday, November 12, 2006

What is CAD?

hmmm Sunday morning. My favourite :D

I've started cooking and baking on Sunday mornings instead of work, I get up and clean the house too, and I actually really enjoy it, I know it sounds like work, but its my one morning a week that I set aside not to work.

I still have loads to do, but not just right now.

I'm downloading Lost too, I can't do that when I'm CADing as my computer needs full memory for the mathematical computations (long word on a Sunday morning...)

I'm going to pop to Sainsburys and pick up all the ingredients for a chocolate and stout cake, I'm making one for Mark, coz he's helping with the Rhino/3D StudioMax, and one for Terry who is providing more Rhino help.

Tip of the Week: Bake for people - it guilt-trips them into helping you

For the non designers out there....

Rhino is a 3D CAD (computer aided design) package, that you make your product in 3D, in layman's terms, its like getting a big lump of plasticine and making a little model out of it, of what you want your product to look like, only on the computer.

3D StudioMax is what companies like Pixar use to animate their movies. You add colour to the models and then render them, which is producing high definition images or Jpegs, that you can then present.

It sounds like such a waste - all that work for 1 picture, but of course once you've modeled it, you can have infinite images in a few clicks of a mouse, change colours around - you can't do that with a drawing.

The 3D models also helps clients and non-designers visualise what it will look like, as they can spin it round etc - otherwise they can find it difficult to understand shape and form with only 2D hand drawn sketches.

Well the cake needs a baking woop!

smell yas laters aligators

No comments: