Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dealing with Disability

While doing my usual morning routine (get up, cup of tea and breakfast, read BBC News) I stumbled across this story, and the associated blog.

It really moved me, this is the story of a family who have taken steps to be able to better care for their daughter, but who feel that have had to write this (very lengthy) blog to explain why and the ethics behind it.
Of course, I'm in no position to really be able to pass judgement on it - I have no disabled children, but I can't help but feel total respect for this family. They are obviously articulate and intelligent and have actively sought solutions for the benefit of their daughter, yet because they haven't just sat back and taken what they were given and struggled on, they are being criticised.

I strongly advise anyone to read it through (if you can get further than The Common Misconceptions, I applaud you, but you'll get the gist of the story). It's a thoroughly modern, refreshing and intelligent look at dealing with disability, I wish more people had the strength and support to be able to make these choices to improve the lives of their loved ones.

(I believe that they really are doing it for the benefit of their daughter, but I also don't think there is that much wrong with doing it to deal with her better and improve their own lives - the reason they have been criticised. They are lucky that the outcomes benefit all)

Well as much as I'd love a ethical debate, talking to nothingness doesn't actually really live up to the term "debate" although if anyone has any strong disagreement or views, feel free to write a comment...if you don't, I'll just take it that you all agree with me :D

No comments: