Sunday, January 28, 2007

Married Men...a story from long ago

Having been reading the archives of "Girl with a one track mind"(...no I'm no pervert, just very very nosy!!) one of her posts (May 15, 2005 - which I can't work out how to link to) touched upon a situation that I found myself in a year ago or so...

She talks about how she is totally disgusted about guys who look at other women when they're with their partners and how its horrible for their relationship and thus how she hates to be on the receiving end of a taken man's advances.

Well it was my 21st birthday, but being a conscientious placement student, trying to work my way up that career ladder, instead of having a party of my own, I ended up in full evening gown at the IT dept Christmas Dinner (yes on the 13th Jan...what can I say...they're in IT) with my lovely (then) boyfriend.

Although I didn't get very drunk, quite a few of the students did, and we were causing a bit of mayhem I think, with all the oldies sitting and rolling their eyes, as we all ran around the Hilton and generally ripped up the dance floor (where the oldies were all waltzing...*yawn*).

Anyway, later on in the evening, we were all sitting at a table about 10 of us etc having a laugh and chatting (as you do) when this woman stormed up to me and (in words that have been lost in the mists of time) shouted at me something along the lines of...

"don't you dare you little minx, don't even think about going near my husband, I'm watching you..."

and stormed off, husband in tow.


I was completely in shock, as far as I was concerned I was having fun on my birthday with my boyfriend and mates, not having a care in the world. I didn't even work for that division so had no idea who "her man" was, and being slightly drunk anyway, I most certainly couldn't see past my hand to see who the little man in tow was! (I was assured later on by my housemate, that it was one of his colleagues, a balding 40-something)

We all sat there in shock, then burst out laughing (what else could we do?) and I was gob smacked - I genuinely didn't even know who this man was (and still to this day don't know his name) and to be perfectly honest, why would I have been eyeing up a 40-something, when I had my boyfriend with me???

And now, having read Girl's post, I now realise what might have happened. He was eyeing me up, she caught him, she either thought I was leading him on (to be honest there was a fair bit of saucy dancing with the girls...as you do), or wanted to make a point to him, that under no circumstances was this acceptable.

I vaguely recall her sneering at me and calling me a slut at some point later on (oh, how very dignified, darling...), but I have to admit I can't *really* remember exactly

Several months later, this same guy came to sort loads of my IT problems, however I didn't know it was "him" and could never work out why he was completely pathetic near me, stuttered, and went red (I assumed it was because I'm a fairly outspoken girl, and was generally abusing his poor IT skills, all in banter of course)...until Bodie told me who he was, it all became clear, and I feel a bit sorry for him now.

So the moral of the story is, don't look at other women when you're with your wife...
a) the other woman isn't interested;
b) they don't want the hassle of being beaten up by a desperate housewife;
c) its just not proper in polite society!

No comments: