Sunday, January 21, 2007

**Serious Thought Warning**

My housemates have found a new tool for getting me to work, and I have to say I'm surprised at the effectiveness of this tool, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Known as "Acute Cringe Encouragement for Modern Apathy" or for its less descriptive name, American Idol. I've found that while Kate and Sam watch it, I find it so terrible and cringe-worthy that I end up going and working, just to get away from it!

I have also been avoiding making comment on the new Apple iPhone, as although I have an iPod, I dislike it's user interface, and although I always like to be typically British and support the Underdog, I don't think we can call Apple that anymore...

Suffice to say, I'm impressed with Apple breaking into the phone market, I think it takes guts to take on some of the giants of that industry, and although I don't think that they're going to be causing too many sleepless nights for the likes of Nokia or Siemens, I think its a great move for the industry in general. Its about time someone shook up the way we think of mobile phones and gave us something that is more in tune with what humans are about (i.e., the whole "human stylus" point of the iPhone).

I think it perfectly illustrates the need for forward thinking and innovative designers. However design would not be possible without innovative and forward thinking companies. In my limited experience I've already seen first hand, brilliant, innovative and clever design fail because companies are not willing to make a break, take a risk, or put their necks out. What results is mundane design that gives users and consumers no real choice.

Maybe this is an area that industrial designers have to improve in themselves. Become salespeople for their work, inspire belief and get top execs on their side. A tall order for a group of people already stretched in terms of workload, with poor pay! (Industrial Design is the poorest paid of the creative fields, with some starting salaries as low as £7-8000pa before tax!)

**serious thought now suspended**

On the plus side, I've revised my estimated time of finish to 5pm, so I'd better crack on.

No comments: