Wednesday, July 11, 2007

EDW: Paul Smith

This week, I've decided to nominate a distinctly modern man. Charismatic and charming, this man has developed of a wardrobe that tailors a distinctive look and matches his personality.

This Paul Smith, however doesn't design shirts with stripey linings.

Thank god.

This Paul Smith is of the singing variety. I am well known for my love of Maximo Park, so I felt it only fitting to dedicate today to the elegance of Paul Smith.


In the early days of 2004, he sported what was described as "tatty second hand suits" however he always managed to look dapper on stage - I have to say I know of few front men who regularly perform in full suit including tie.

This ensemble was set off with a styled, if not severe 1920's style side parting, and trademark flick...not what some might call sexy, but elegant nonetheless


It is somewhat remarkable that he manages to maintain this elegance since the second album when he decided to grow a messy mop for hair...luckily he's taken to covering it with a (rather dapper) bowler hat...






And even when he commits the cardinal sin of navy trousers and a black shirt, one can forgive him, as those trousers had a sparkly seam.
















So, I salute you, Mr Smith, may musicians like Razorlight take lessons in dressing from you.

3 comments:

Quink said...

Oh, I say - that's very good.

Glamourpuss said...

I'm sure there was an article in Vogue not so long ago about the trick to wearing black with navy blue. Your man is more fashion forward than fashion faux pas according to that style bible.

Puss

ERA said...

hmmm, I shall never be convinced. It just doesn't sit right in my eye, same as wearing black and brown, they're just too close in colour.
Even if he's fashion forward, I just don't think I'm a fan...