Sunday, October 01, 2006

Love:Hate Relationship

For long and boring reasons I had to take my car home to the West Country (which was eventful, but I’ll write about that later) and take the train back up to Universitytown.

6 hours.

This is why I hate public transport.

Ok, I use it a lot and I wouldn’t be able to cope without it, but charging me £75 for the privilege of 4 changes, 6 hours and a lot of pushing and shoving is just stupid. And the government wonders why people don’t use public transport as much and I can see why, I’d much rather take the 3 hour drive over the (frankly tedious) 6 hour train journey.

Although having said that, I was mildly amused and entertained at the heroin addict stood next to me daintily sipping her methadone straight from the bottle.

I was slightly less amused when she ran off to vomit.
Lovely.

I got chatting to a little old man from Leeds who had been to see his baby grandson for the first time down in Cornwall, his wife was no longer with him, but he showed me photos of his son and grandson, and it was really nice to see them including him in their baby’s life.

There was a girl who was going to surprise her friend for her birthday, having travelled all the way from York to Poole that morning, just to be with her. It was really sweet and touching, that coupled with the Welsh lady going to see her daughter getting married, it was all in all one of the better journeys I’ve been on, and nice to see the world enjoying itself.

That’s why I love public transport – you can be so isolated and alone in your own car, and sometimes its nice to be able to let someone else do the driving and watch the world go by and interact with it.

No comments: