Monday, October 02, 2006

Revelation

Well my first "day" at uni went well - I was all finished by 11.30, and now have a pile of work I'm going to start sifting through and planning, oh the joys of Industrial Design and Technology!

The first main lecture was a lab session on a module on the internet. We were asked who had a blog, and although new, I decided not to reveal this blog (no-one else claimed one either meaning they're all liars, or technologically inept, or just can't be bot
hered!), and that got me pondering on why I want a bit of anonymity and whether if I reveal my university, my direct peers will work me out.

I guess my main fear would be the ridicule that I might expose myself to - after all blogging is essentially a fairly geeky thing to do, and people on my course tend to have an air of "cool". I wonder if they would leave nasty comments, or openly mock me in the department, or whether they would find it offensive (not that I'm going to be writing na
sty things!)

Also another point is that I was very nearly caught writing this blog during the second post, by someone who is very close to me, and I denied it. I think that I want people to share my thoughts and have something interesting to read, but at the same time I don't want people to know it's me - with the tiny number of girls on my course, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to guess.

But maybe if it's the only way to help get people reading it would be to reveal which uni - then when people search they might find it.


So here it is....
Loughborough University

...I wonder how long it will take for someone to (a) notice this blog (b) know who I am (c) actually care...


***Update*** I am adding my "WeeMe" to this post so I can link it to my Profile picture...


2 comments:

Michael said...

Hi! I've noticed your blog and read bits of it. And it gives me hope that someone may have noticed by blog and read bits of it! Whether or not they leave a comment.

I like your line, "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink" Like the parts of the world where they alternate between flood and drought.

And yours is the first blog I've found intersting enough to leave a comment on!

ERA said...

Micheal,

thanks for leaving a comment - I think you are my first reader!!

The quote is a famous old English one by Samuel Coleridge, which orignally comes from a book called The Ancient Mariner and refers to life on the ships in the 1800s when, like the quote, there was water everywhere, but none of it drinkable.
It's so famous in England that it becomes ingrained in the mind, and gives me a lot of inspiration when thinking about world issues!

Rachel