Monday, October 02, 2006

"Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink"

So every year there is an international design competition run by the RSA, and as part of my degree I have to take part.

Now this is a fascinating competition full of opportunities, which almost as importantly has the possibility for some big prizes, which, as I tend to be fairly pragmatic, will actually give me something to eat (no I obviously won't eat the money)

Unfortunately, the briefs for the competition are really broad. Ok so that shouldn't be a problem, I'm supposed to be a creative person, and I'm supposed to be able to think outside the box, etc etc, but to be honest, I'm sh*tting myself.

Now the reason why I'm so worried is because so much hangs in the balance for this final year - the RSA, my major project, another design exercise called "Design Week". All of which will either make or break my ability to get a job.
If my design idea isn't creative enough, or forward thinking enough, then I'm threatened with the possibility not getting a job.
Jobs getting into design are nothing to do with your CV, its all about your portfolio.
So have a bad project and you screw it all up for yourself - now that's a lot of pressure and will set the undertone of this next year.

So right now I'm trying to translate the words "Water, Water" into a meaningful concept brief and failing miserably.

On the plus side tho, I'm "groupped up" with a great girl who's really dedicated, hard-working, and comes from a really arty background (unlike me) which means that our brain-storming should help me out a bit, and hopefully we'll be able to see things from other angles and get new perspectives. Just need to find some more people to put up with me...

So despite all the rubbish that I've just spouted, I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck in!


No comments: