Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Six Beautiful Things and an Expensive Option

I'm drugged up to my eyeballs at the moment, so a little scatty ....ooo look at my balls...*
I'm going to write myself an agenda for this post - hopefully it'll mean I don't forget anything...

Bolognese
First things, first.
I make a mean Bolognese, involving a bottle of wine, 3 hours and a lot of beef.
If you're ever around, give me a shout and I'll make it for you

Accessibility
We've been learning about accessibility of websites and I thought I would try to "do my bit" so I might try out writing in bold...

Walking Chairs
I have been doing some research on my heated public seating and whilst in the library found a brilliant public art installation called Benches and Bins by Greyworld, who did also did The Source.
Benches and Bins is a fantastic project which uses artificial intelligence to have these lovely benches and bins that rove around a piazza in Cambridge. The reference I found said that it was finished in 2005, but I've found out that they only just finished it - which would explain why I never saw it when I was in Cambs.

I'm tempted to go and have a look for myself, but not sure if I can afford the expense, not now I might have to buy...

Solar Panels
I'm looking at sustainable energy sources for my public heated seating, and obviously solar its a fairly obvious choice, only it costs approx £150-£200 per m2 - I'm not sure thats going to be a viable opinion for me!

I'm going to speak to one of my tutors in the Engineering department about the materials side of things - I wonder if there's anything I can use that will absorb the IR heat from the sun and release it slowly. The problem with that is it will release all the energy, all the time, so it would have to be a top up along with a solar/battery set-up.

Also, whilst browsing Greyworld's other works I found they have "Colour Stops" in Bradford. These are brilliant bus stops that sing to the waiting commuters about the colours they are wearing. What none of the articles I found mentioned (and I found in a video clip), was that they also incorporate heated seating...powered by a hugh wind turbine.

Now, I'm not sure the turbine would be viable either for this project, however I am more than slightly gutted that someone got there first.

Major Project
Well my project is going well, I've got a fair few ideas about how to power/discharge the energy required and have even managed to dig around in my brain

*ok ask my friend for her first year notes*

to work out the energy required for a lightbulb as a brief exercise, in requirements.

I'm starting my sketching tomorrow, I was going to do it tonight, but have been finishing that damned Vanadium essay, so all in all I'm getting on quite well.

Three Beautiful Things
So although I feel a bit gutted about my project, I found this lovely blog that is all about 3 things that made the author happy that day.

Compliments
Got a nice compliment today, on my fine choice of accessories, and, being a lady of fashion I was quite pleased.

*Today, I shall mostly be toting a Soft Cream 2ply Andrex Roll, "with Puppies on the paper"*




*and I'm not a lune, honest. Hang on, isn't that what lunetics say....

No comments: