Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Long Way from Home

I'm having a tough time of it at the moment, and I think that's partly my own fault for over thinking things.

This post is going to be a bit of therapy for me, so feel free to ignore the ranting and skip this!

The feedback I had on Friday was to look at more sculptural, architectural references, do something a bit different, a bit exciting.

I've been trying to immerse myself in a bit of sculpture and get a bit arty, but it doesn't sit very well with me. I'm not one of these arty designers, I'm all about order, control and perfection. So looking at what I consider to be shoddily put together bundles of (for want of a better word) crap and trying to find the hidden meaning has led me far into a world that is unfamiliar and strange. Its left me feeling disoriented and almost lost.

I've pulled back from there and I'm trying to put this artiness into my work, get some designs that are quirky and a bit different. But that requires there to be a hidden meaning behind the work. I'm not into that. For me it should be beautiful, and work well...none of this "embodying the togetherness of the natural and industrial worlds as the forms collide to produce a mechanical-organic aesthetic".

That's not how my brain works.

My brain works in questions...
"would that be comfortable to sit on?"
"can wheelchair users easily use the product?"
"how do the split lines and internal ribbing work to aid durability and functionality?"
"what mechanical forces are going to be applied?"
"how will the seat be disassembled at the end of life?"
"are there any stronger/lighter/cheaper materials that I can use?"
"how will the user know when the product is working?"

Form follows function.

This is how my brain works.

So styling and the look of the product come last to me. Only I'm dealing in "furniture" design now. I've strayed from my given path. I'm in an unknown I don't understand or feel comfortable in. I've dug myself a rather big hole, one that I have no choice in now, one I have to design my way out of. But I'm lost and I don't know where to go now. I feel like I'm a long way from home.

And I just don't know what to do, except have a good cry.

No comments: