Monday, July 02, 2007

Updates

Two weeks have passed since my last entry, mainly due to Glastonbury, but also due to the countryside's inability to hold a decent internet connect...back to the Middle Ages anyone?

So I'm at home now, as I have been for a week now since Glastonbury, mainly recovering, sleeping, unpacking and moving furniture around, trying to get myself organised really. Tomorrow I start the arduous task of CV writing and refining my portfolio. I had hoped to get a job back at my old place but they've already filled the position I wanted, I will keep trying as I haven't managed to get through to them yet, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The show (all those weeks ago) went fairly well, I spoke to the guy who was interviewing for his design consultancy, but he was rude, and nasty about me work, tbh it wasn't what I needed on the opening night. Needless to say everyone bailed for the night out after the opening, and I ended up on my own in the union. I walked home with Julia's boyfriend Chris, who nobly supported me on my killer heels all the way home. Normally I take flip flops to walk home in, but some delightful girl in the queue stole them and ran away with them promising to hide them for me...I never saw them again, shame, as I liked those ones...
Oh yeah and I accidentally left my party dress at the show (there was going to be cunning clothing changes, but that never happened). Not the best night out!

The rest of the show went by quietly, I wasn't feeling up for selling myself to passing employers and just let them walk past to be trapped by the more confident of my peers, whilst generally drowning my sorrows in cheap and nasty instant coffee.

It was however, very nice to see some friends who made the effort to come and see my work, Claire and Nat from Masterfoods; Julia, Chris and Tegan and my parents and brother, it's always nice to have supportive people, but a bit of a shame that none of them are designers to be able to really cheer me up. My friends on the course have been suspiciously quiet when it comes to praising my work, with the exception of Tom, however I don't trust that he's not just saying nice things to make me feel better.

Results were released on the Tuesday and my tutors also obviously didn't believe in my work, and I scored a massively below standard 59% for the project, further confirming my belief that I should maybe give up designing and do something else. If you can't be great at something, why bother?
Needless to say I went to Glastonbury with a distinctly bitter taste in my mouth, I tried to enjoy myself, knowing that I'd been waiting 2 years for it, and that it was the celebration of the end of my degree, however my mood was in general that of a loner, and I spent a lot of time away from the others, not able to face their enjoyment and happiness. I spent a lot of time aimlessly wondering around the site, not really engaging in anything, and thus missed the majority of bands I wanted to see, and not really discovering any other fun things going on around me.

By Monday I was drained and just wanted to curl up in my own bed alone. The girls came home with me however, and after a 6 hour journey from the festival site (I live 20 mins away on a normal day) we all fell into bed, not even realising the flooding in Sheffield had taken place. Thank god I was home, the poor girls had 10 hour long train ride home, not knowing whether they'd be able to get any further north of Derby. they did however finally get home.

So now I'm home. Mum has been on my back about getting a job, I had only been home a day before she's barged into my room and demanded to know what I was going to do with the rest of my time. I mentioned how I wanted to travel before getting a "real" job which didn't go down too well. I have breathed an inward sigh of relief that she's gone on holiday for a week today, so I can get myself together and rested without her vicious and nasty attacks.

I think I envisaged this post being super long, but really it's difficult to think back 2 weeks with much clarity that you feel at the time. Needless to say I did enjoy a bit of Glastonbury, the Show wasn't that bad, and I can't wait to leave home already.

Oh and I got a 2:1 in the end...

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

If it's any consolation, I experienced a very similar anti-climax after both my degree and my Master's. Those of us who set ourselves impossibly high goals are never going to happy until we achieve the impossible.

Be kind to yourself.

Puss