Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elegantly Dressed Thursday: Gwyneth Paltrow

I have to admit I thought today was Wednesday - the perils of unemployment for you there...

This week I've decided to go modern, and I've nominated Gwyneth Paltrow for my EDT.

She has managed in recent years to remain tastefully silent in an increasingly sensationalist tabloid world, she refuses to be drawn into comment on "celebrity" issues and remains dignified in the face of the world's press - I greatly admire her that she's strong enough to walk the red carpet alone, and that she doesn't feel the need to parade her husband up and down like some sort of trophy.

And although I'm not into the "wife stays at home" mentality of society, I respect that she has made the decision to stay at home and look after her children. I get the feeling she's strong enough now to make these decisions without the loss of any pride and dignity.

Mores to the point, she maintains an elegant poise on the rare occasions that she appears in the press for everyday occurrences, and generally is pulled together on most occasions (we can forgive a PMS ridden Gwyneth for blubbing at the Oscars, I think).

I've noted in my own nominations that the ladies I choose tend to be strong, dignified and elegant in more than just their dress sense, but their attitudes to life, love, work and their public appearances. What jolly Britishness. I think we've rubbed off on Gwyneth.

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

I respect your reasoning on this one, although I have to say that personally, I think she has as many red-carpet misses as hits, and I find her intensely irritating. She can act alright, I just wish she wasn't such a smug goody-goody. She does scrub up well sometimes, and she looked fabulous in The Talented Mr Ripley.

Puss