Friday, August 31, 2007

The Prize Winning Pot Plant

I don't know what's wrong with me, I just never feel like posting these days and I've fully lost inspiration for EDW. It's a nightmare of sorts. I certainly don't feel worthy of a blog, so maybe just the one post will appease all my non existent readers (despite myself I like the idea that I can waffle away on this blog and be speaking to pretty much no-one. Bizarre eh?)

Let's start with the job front, I've been applying like crazy and have finally lowered myself to applying for "non design" jobs. Don't get me wrong. I'm a terrible snob, however I have decided that I can't be that much of a snob to be claiming dole and that if I really want some money to be able to put petrol in the car and swan off on weekends without having to beg for charity drinks, I must get a job.

So in with the usual design applications crept 3 non design jobs.

1. Cashier at my local HSBC. As far as I can tell I'll have to serve very stupid people and be nice to them, all whilst trying to dredge up my maths skills from the bottom recesses of my mind. On a plus though its a respectable job for "In Between" and they give me a day off in the week if I work a Sat, meaning I can get job interviews without taking time off. I have my initial telephone interview on Monday at 9am, so I'll have to think up reasons why I want a career in banking that don't include "coz I need a job"

2. Careers/Jobs Advisor at a local University. Yes that's right, I, the girl who can't get a job would be advising others on how to get jobs of their own. Not a good idea. On the plus its part time (not good for the money side) but I'll again be able to go to interviews, and possibly use all those contacts to get myself a (better) job

3. This is the one that I can't quite bring myself to apply for, but that I think will be hilarious. Detention Officer in St Paul's area of Bristol. For anyone not from "these parts", St Paul's is rough, spelt R-u-f-f, innit. But I like the idea of flooring big crack addicts and getting to lock them up in the back of my (standard issue) riot van. Maybe not.

On a brighter note I got a job interview in Sheffield on Tuesday which means I get to see Julia and Chris on Tuesday night before driving home. I'm still waiting to hear from Adrem about the Newcastle job, but I forgot to ring this afternoon, due to the major distraction that was shopping with mum in town! Opps, best ring on Monday.

In other news, Stu got a place in college and starts on Monday, well done stinky :D

Oh I nearly forgot, the Corsley Show results...I got First prize for my "foliage pot plant", and a Black and white photo from Italy, and a second for my portrait of mum. Happy days. It was a great day in all, the sun shone a lot and the traffic jam was backed up to the bypass (there's never normally that level of interest...).
I also met some delightful new people, only to be denied a phone number by virtue of being dragged off to do important steward things before I had a chance. I am now on the hunt, trying not to look too stalkerish, I will get his number. I WILL. Ok, slightly stalkerish, but we got on well, giggled about Green Wing (the way directly to this girls heart) and lamented over how hard it is to get a job in creative industries. In reality I really want to make friends round here if I'm going to be stuck here for a while, there's only so much sitting on the sofa watching TV a girl can take.

Tomorrow I go to watch the Mothership dance in a show, and potentially get information on Film Guy...*rubs hand in glee*.

Ok I'll stop now, I'm not a stalker*, honest


*Isn't that what stalkers say...?


----------------
Now playing: Foo Fighters - Free Me
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

What are your tips for healthy pot plant then? Mine all seem to die rapidly.

And it's your blog, so you write what you want, when you want and who cares about the rest of it?

Puss

Quink said...

I ended up doing something completely different to what I trained for, and assumed I would be doing. No complaints there, and all subsequent wrong turns were entirely my fault. Though I'd steer clear of working for a bank, unless they want you to do some design for them. Keep plugging away and you'll find the right thing for you. Good luck...