Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Corsley Show

Is is wrong to have strawberries and cream for breakfast? Answers on a postcard please.

My weekend has been short, in terms of my plans. Having spent Friday night in Reading I returned home due to a lack of people to amuse me midday on Saturday. The friend I was visiting and staying with buggered off and left me to fend for myself, so home it was. As it was the preceding evening had been somewhat of a wash out, being home and in bed asleep by midnight. Not what I was expecting.

Needless to say the journey home yesterday was enjoyable, it was sunny outside, I had Amy Winehouse and Mr Hudson to keep me company and I managed a delightful singalong despite sitting in the grockle* traffic for half an hour. On arriving home I was dispatched to Sainsburys for the purchasing of berries for Eton Mess and buns for homemade burgers. I love my brother for his cooking (oh yeah, and because he's my brother I suppose)

Now comes for a mention of the annual village show. My parents seem to be the upstanding kind that get into village life, and indeed help organise the competition side of things at the show. This mainly consists of marshalling little old ladies around a huge marquee, making sure they've put their plum jam in the right place for judging.

I am of course encouraged to participate in the competitions and this year I'll be entering a painting I did of the Mothership and some photos. Normally I'd also enter the fiercely contested world of baked goods, but not this time round. Also due to my ever increasing age, I am now gaining more responsibilities on Show Day, this has blossomed from a runner to data entry for the winners and judging of the classes. Tbh if I whine about it I'm not being honest. I do enjoy spending time with my family participating in the truly innocent and English activity of "Largest Marrow" and "Celebrity Lookalike Vegetable".

And that wasn't me being sarcastic either. No really, it wasn't

* I love that term, its so brilliantly "local" and no-one further east of Dorset knows what it means. Genius
----------------
Now playing: Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

My side of the Tamar, they're 'emmets' not 'grockles'. But just as irritating.

I feel hungry now.

Puss

Quink said...

Yes, grockle is a lovely word. I've just come from a blog where I learned the word shockle, so it's an ockle of an evening.