Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Food for thought

Firstly, congratulations are due to Puss, who has found herself a literary agent. She's a wonderful writer but seems to refuse to believe anyone when they tell her she's just darned great.


So I'm trying to while away the hours until I move into the B&B, and so far I've come up with mostly watching daytime TV (something I never did while unemployed, and haven't done since but I feel like I should take advantage of sitting around all day...); also starting to pack, but I think that's a bit early; blogging, but since I'm not doing much there's not going to be much to say.

So I've made a list of things to pack, and I'm left wondering what the new job will be like.

I've already been signed up to yoga classes - during my medical I was informed by the doctor that I was "unacceptably inflexible for the job" having never been able to touch my toes (a bit odd considering that I'm just going to be sitting at a computer, and not becoming an Olympic gymnast...).
Also family history is working against me. I am ineligible for a full pension, I pay the same as everyone else but I'm not allowed to receive as much as everyone else because of a family inclination towards depression and anxiety. I was very surprised to hear that, and it seems that if I ever get treated for it myself I will lose potentially everything.

I'm slightly upset at that, its not my fault that my family tend towards this and not something I've ever seriously had a problem with, but knowing as I do that 1 in 3 people suffer from some sort of depression in their lifetimes, makes me think that my pension (and my odds) are unfairly stacked against me. I wonder if it would be any different for someone who doesn't have a family history but gets treated for it? I bet they just get a pat on the head and all the money.

I guess I've just got to make sure I never let myself get into that situation, but it's upsetting that if, for whatever reason I fall prey to it, there is little or no safety net for my future. Which seems to me that in a time of need could potentially make the situation so much, much worse.

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

That pension malarkey sounds like bollocks. What bastards. Flexibility is a great attribute, trust me, it's worth working for. :-)

And thanks for the congrats. I'm still a bit embarrassed about it all but it is cool.

Puss