Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This day















This photo was what made me remember. I went through the whole of today, blissfully unaware of the significance of this day. Tuesday 11th September, a whole 6 years since that horrible day. I won't dwell on the whys or the whole convoluted history that has since gone, others do it much better.

But what I will say is that time really must heal, for some at least. After all I'd forgotten. No forgotten is the wrong word. But it doesn't affect me any more.

I remember the day I found out. I was standing in my single dorm at school, getting changed after a long day in lessons ready for supper and homework, when Jo walked in and said the (rather wacky) psychology teacher was crying all the way through the lesson because a plane had crashed into a building in NY. I immediately commented that it must have been a light aircraft flying low, but went down to see the TV. I was shocked and appalled by what I saw. I think at that point it was only 1 plane, not the 2. But I don't remember the second hitting. I do remember just sitting there, glued to the screen while the girls around me couldn't understand the significance or loss of life and asked me to come to the dinner hall.

That's all the comment I'm going to make, much more is pointless.

----------------
Now playing: James Morrison - The Last Goodbye
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

I remember standing in the staffroom with the other teachers and watching the news. There was a feeling of unreality about it - like it was really a movie we were watching, not real life. And death.

Puss