Saturday, November 03, 2007

SEA

I'm a SEA, yes that's right I am a "Science and Engineering Ambassador" working with children in schools and youth programmes to encourage children (and especially girls) to enter the world of Engineering.

Now why I am a SEA, I'm not sure...I'm not an engineer and I most certainly know very little of science, other than some remnants of A Level stuff on chemistry and materials science from uni.

However having spent a morning teaching ***yes me, teaching, in a school!*** I have been invited as a positive role model to help young women into the industry. (Apparently being an Industrial Designer "counts" as engineering! HA, what world are they on!!)

Still I'm only obligated to undertake one activity with the children per year, having already spent a morning in a school, taking 2 tours round work and soon to be going into 3 schools for a critique session on their design work, I think I've done about 5 years worth of engagements.

Still who'd have thought? I positively hate all children (with notable exceptions for my delightful baby cousins) and can't imagine being a teacher, however I get to "do my bit" for a charity, help people, and work pay me to do it. Get in.

Oh and it looks great on the CV

Selfish? Moi? Mai non!

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

Children are okay - it's their parents who give me the heeby-jeebies...

Puss