Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Christmas Card List

Ahhhh, I have a brand spanking new printer!

Although ParcelForce think its ok to delivery at 6.45AM on a SATURDAY!!


I've decided that it might be fun to do a little "Fact of the Day" every day - or maybe every post as I don't post everyday.

"Each person sends an average of 55 greetings cards a year"


Well, I send zero, I don't "do" cards. My Mum must be taking up my slack, what with the Christmas Database, Black Book and mail merging system for label printing.

Mum is a little obsessive with Christmas Cards - she sends approx 500, in mid-November, to all the people who sent her one the year before - this is marked down in the Black Book which tracks card exchanges for the last 15 years or so, god forbid that you get struck off the Christmas card list!
If you have been struck off and send her a card, she will then send out a second batch in the early stages of December so she doesn't get struck off your Christmas card list for the next year
*oh how terribly British*

The Christmas Database contains information on each family, ages, children's names, wedding anniversaries, notable events, enabling her to personalise each one of the 500 cards, without making a mistake, and seemingly as if she's not sending them out en masse.

Then there's the Christmas letter, apparently last year I joined the army (yes, this is how much she really knows about me...even though she knew I was working for a major confectionary company, somehow reality and fiction doesn't tally up in her brain).
The Christmas letter is sent out to only the top 100 recipicents of the Munday Christmas Card - and is the ultimate priviledge.

My brother has worked out how to trick her into discluding himself - he'll "proof read" it just before the printing, and delete all reference to himself, let Mum print out all 100 and then tell her, and she won't re-print all 100...she falls for it every year!

*I wonder what I'll be doing this year...*

No comments: