Thursday, October 19, 2006

For One Night Only

Today I had my "Dragon's Den" with a nice tutor called David. My idea was well received although they pointed out that it was huge and complex giving a bit of a risk of not finishing.

They also wanted me to take into consideration wind chill and shelter for people. I think they are both valid points but I'm not sure how I can incorporate them into the seat without making it absolutely massive!

...How am I going to make it...?

Well I've got a few things to think about, but I think its very obvious now that as much as it would be great to have a fully working prototype, its more feasible to have a partially working one that is powered off a car battery per say for the degree show, although that will come clearer when I see the electronics tutor, tomorrow.

As I was sitting in my tutorial I was also wondering what people think of my blog, one entry I'm loving my ideas, next I'm down in the dumps, and that made me realise why design is so draining and stressful...

you are on a 3 year long emotional rollercoaster

You can feel so positive about your work, then someone comes along and points out all the bad things, then you plummet, and pick yourself up and carry on, only to come crashing down later on.

And I'm not talking about this happening once every now and then, this happens daily, hourly even, I think I get through about 4 or 5 ups and downs a day, on a good day.

Multiply that by up to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, for at least a year at a time, and I've suddenly realised why the dropout rate is one of the highest in the country, and why a lot of my peers have gone into management - anything is easier than this!

I don't think people appreciate how personally and emotionally involved you become with your projects, they are your babies, your life, your passion, physical manifestions of you, and you can't get away from them - I wonder if this is what parenthood is like to some extent?

So I've decided to get a babysitter in for the kids and have a night off, Isabelle and I are going for a drink at the Orange Tree, the most brilliant place on earth. I promise
And I shall try to forget the turbines for one night only.

Fact of the Post:
Bad things happen to good people - although despite what you may think, it was quite hard to find enough "bad" stories. Maybe the world isn't so nasty after all...

No comments: