Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Good and The Bad

I've not posted in a while because I was getting ready for a critique I had on Thursday, then getting over it Thursday night, and getting over my hangover on Friday.

Not really conducive to work, but it was a tough day.

We had to stand up and do a short presentation to a tutor and about 8 other people. It was ok in the sense that I'm happy to stand up and do presentations with my eyes closed, but it was difficult having the work criticised - it went ok when I look back but it was an little bit of an attack - at least I know have some more feedback on the direction of my project - I just need to redesign it and CAD it up, which for me will be the hardest part - I haven't touched CAD for over a year now - the sooner I get a final design, the longer for me to CAD it.

Hmmmm interesting thoughts

I also had my interim report feedback on the heated seating - I scored a provisional 67, which I'm really please about (highest in my tutor group) and I got a few really great ideas from my tutor about how to illustrate it in user testing such as time-lapse film footage (yes I'm getting ahead of myself) but also how it would be a good idea to actually design my piece for a particular single location.

I've had some good suggestions, such as Nottingham City Centre, and in a square in Birmingham, but they're all very far away - I might end up doing it for Loughborough Town Centre, although that's not exactly inspirational!!

Apart from having to transport the seat to potentially Birmingham, I'd also have to make regular visits to understand wind movements, shade, and the urban landscape - unfortunately the further you have to travel, the more time you lose (and money you need) in doing these tasks.

Well it's somewhere to consider.

I've also got to decide if I really want my seating to be truly inclusive - do I really want wheelchair users transfering in public - their chairs might get stolen, etc. So my tutor gave me the idea to possibly create a warm space in conjunction with the seating for pushchairs and wheelchair users. Its a great idea, but once again pushes the sizings upwards!

I'm gonna get on with deeply sifting through the information and planning my next steps before Mummy and Daddy Munday get here!!


Fact of the Post: Coco Chanel invented the fashion to have tans...

No comments: