Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Doubts

I'm not having a good time of it lately. The work is really getting me down - I spend whole days working away, trying to get everything on that day's to do list done, but only ever seem to scratch the surface. I'm becoming disillusioned and demoralised - silly really considering I have 14 days left to prove my worth on my degree and qualify as a BA Industrial Designer.

Only I don't know if I'll make it, I've got so much to do, and so little time to complete it in. I don't think I can recall a time when I have felt this stressed. This is worth so much - if I do poorly in this one project, that will be my entire degree ruined. And ok, I know the class of your degree isn't the be all and end all, but after 4 years of long days, long nights, tears, pain, stress and hope, I find that I have a lot invested emotionally in doing well.

This is my life. Design. I can't imagine doing anything other than this. I couldn't do anything other than this. But what if? What if I can't complete this project? What if my output is poor?

What if I fail?

I guess that's the biggest issue for me. I have never failed at anything that ever meant anything to me. Driving tests, GCSEs, A Levels, I got the university I wanted, I have got every interview I ever went for. Maybe this is the point at which I learn that important lesson. Failure.

Now if I take my logical side of the brain, switch it on, and use it properly, I'd know that I already have enough marks in the bag to pass my degree. Even if I got a zero in this project I'd still come out with a 45. A Pass.

But I don't want a Pass, I want a 2:1. If I'm brutally honest I want a first. I don't think I'll get that, and I won't hold my hopes up for one, the best I can expect is a 2:1. But I'll hold out for a 2:2...then I can't get let down by myself.

Maybe that's it. I might have let myself down. Well I've come too far to change the nights when I've gone to bed not worked through. Too far to change that I have made things difficult for myself. Too far to change that despite my tough outer shell, I'm petrified of talking to people, asking for help. Too far to change that I will procrastinate to put off having to do things that I haven't done before. Too far.

15 days. Or 14 if you count that today is almost gone.

14 days until there is nothing left to change my fate.

But do I have the strength; the inclination; the will to put that much more effort in? Will putting that effort in increase my emotional investment, make the pill that much tougher to swallow, if I do badly?

I don't know.

But I think I'd better figure it out soon, before it's too late.

If only I could believe in myself

1 comment:

Glamourpuss said...

You have the will, the desire and the discipline to succeed - how can you possibly do otherwise?

When one gets totally embroiled in a project it is nigh on impossible to see the larger picture with any degree of perspective.

So just remember, doing your best is always good enough, and more often than we credit, it's perfect.

Take heart.

Puss